- How Jim & his wife, Sarah, learned about money while they were young & he was still in the military.
- How car payments forced them to pay for life on the card, which quickly added up to serious debt.
- Feeling guilty about debt? It seems like the easiest answer is to spend more money.
- Larry Burkett’s book, Complete Financial Guide For Young Couples (Christian Financial Concept), changed his entire financial perspective.
- “How we spend our money is outward indicator of an inward spiritual condition.” Larry Burkett
- The budget can get blown out of proportion, but you fix it and move forward.
- In 18 months they were completely debt free.
- How he found confidence & hope to fix his finances that directed his family to live on an established budget for 15+ years.
- How Jim stopped doing the budget 8 years ago, and put it on autopilot with his transactions & savings.
- “I think budgeting and planning, super duper important.”
- Set up your spending categories, understand the percentages of where to spend your money.
- Do an inventory to track your spending. Don’t feel guilty about it. Don’t try to change anything & group them into expenses.
- “You should always be saving.”
- Your well-being goes up when you give things away, according to a Gallup study.
- “Budget your hours like you budget your money.”
- “Most people overestimate what they can do in a month and underestimate what they can do in a year. So give yourself a year to try it.”
- Measure, engage, & move forward on the budget.
- StrengthsFinder 2.0
- “Having a plan is better than no plan.”
- Money equals options.
- We discuss my strengths to look at how Strength Finders is helping me.
- Themes x Investments = Strengths
- Try to discover your Super Power.
- We all understand that: 1+1= Way More than 2
- Jim shares his highest & lowest strengths and how he works with that.
- Take the Strength Finders as a team, as a family, in relationships to build your best strengths.
- When using your strengths: Name it. Claim it. And Aim it.
- What the difference is between a bank & a credit union for the regular consumer.
- What is he proudest of while working with Gallup? How High school students have an opportunity to do an internship at Gallup Credit Union.
- Girls are dropping out of tech programs in junior high. What can we do to keep them involved in the STEM program through the junior high/high school years?
- “Don’t panic and plan.”
- You have 2 of the most expensive months coming up: Do damage control.
- Keep the categories broad and very simple.
- How expensive is Thanksgiving? How expensive is Christmas? Keep track of teh receipts and keep track.
- Jim Collison
- The Average Guy Blog & Network
- Complete Financial Guide For Young Couples (Christian Financial Concept)
- StrengthsFinder 2.0
- Gallup Strengths Center
You’ve heard of the Think Enriched Crew, but are you in yet?
You can win 1 of 3 copies to be given away of StrengthsFinder 2.0
- Give the show a RATING & REVIEW.
- That’s it! You are now entered to win 1 of 3 copies being given away (just in time for the holidays.)
Don’t forget to join me & Steve Stewart on BLAB next week:
BLAB Session: November 4, 7pm, Pacific
Have a question. Send me an email: email@example.com.